Pages

Thursday, August 27, 2015

SERENITY

This is part of the 18 -ities practice, where each week I'll think about a word taken by spiritual leader and yoga master Sri Swami Sivanada, the writer and composer of The Song of Eighteen Ities. Read the introduction here.

"1.) Serenity 
Tranquility, acceptance, a feeling of peace. A moment of serenity is where it all begins. In this state of serenity, our mind is motionless and nothing disturbs our thoughts. Serenity is like a forest pool on a calm day. The pool's surface is as smooth as glass. If we come closer, we can see right down to the bottom of the pool."


 The first thought that came to mind when I read that excerpt from Happinez Magazine was my daily meditation. I might describe the details of this meditation at a later date, but the reason I do it is to center myself. When I concentrate on breathing and finding my center -- not daily tasks, issues that have come up, or anything else weighing on my thoughts -- I can truly find serenity.

The power of breath is truly amazing. Taking long, deep, intentional breaths can be extremely soothing. We all breathe shallow breaths most of the time, but engaging the belly into the exercise of breath stretches those muscles and moves that oxygen through your body.

Another thing that brings me serenity is being out in nature. There's a certain stillness, but also activeness that resides in the forest, garden, or at the beach. All the sounds around you are natural. There aren't cars whooshing by, or a TV blaring, but instead, the sound of rustling leaves and waves crashing. It allows you to see the beauty of what is earthly-made.

I also feel a sort of serenity when I'm creative writing, just scribbling down words or phrases that come to me. It almost feels like a brisk wind urging me to get this down on paper because I'll need it someday. It's a kind of relief that is soothing and energizing all at the same time.

What comes to mind when you think of the word SERENITY? I'd really love to hear.


No comments:

Post a Comment