Pages

Monday, December 28, 2015

Poem from the Mitten



Poetry time! As you might know, I love poetry and therefore I'd like to share a poem from the book "How the Losers Love What's Lost." I read this book by Patrick Ryan Frank last year and have dog-eared pages galore. On top of his wonderful poetry, he is a Michigan native just like me! 



WHAT I WANT FROM THE WORLD 
by Patrick Ryan Frank

On some bright beach in Hawaii,
in some dim year of the past,
one leper in love with another
says, Take my hand. That's all --
sweet joke or two, quick touch,
an elegy on a postcard.
Not much, no more than moments
of luck in a luckless life,
of trouble beautifully lit.
So let the lepers think
the numbness of their lips
is love. Let the sharks
be far and slow. Let
nobody see their bodies
as they run into the sea
with the sun in tatters on
the water, with laughter, a wind
through palms that sounds like Please.

No comments:

Post a Comment