Pages

Sunday, November 9, 2014

Part I: Pike Place Market


Pike Place Market | Seattle, Wash. | Photo by Roger Schultz
When I decided to take the internship at YES! Magazine, I was a tad nervous to move so far away. OK, Washington wouldn't be the furthest I have ever lived from my home in Michigan (I lived in Santa Ana, Calif. for two months a few years back with my best friend), but it was the first time I would be venturing out into the world by myself.

Although I was nervous, I knew it was an adventure that I needed to take, especially since I've always been drawn to the Pacific Northwest. 

Like many parents, mine were worried about me packing up six months of my life to travel to Bainbridge Island by myself, so they decided they would fly over with me to make sure I got there in one piece. If you ask me, though, they had an ulterior motive. My parents love to travel, and over the years, family vacations have become more and more centered around visiting National Parks. Since Seattle is pretty close to Olympic National Park and Mount Rainier, we decided to fly out a week early to explore Seattle and the wilderness in the Evergreen State.

Throughout the next couple posts, I will share pictures and stories from our adventures during that week.

These photos are all from Pike Place Market. It is on the Seattle shoreline and has restaurants, craft vendors, fish markets, produce stands, bakeries, and specialty shops. The pictures are all from vendors on the top floor. The bottom floor houses actual shops that lock when the stores are closed. I hadn't heard of the market until my friend said I must visit it, and we had a lot of fun there. I bought organic cold-pressed hot apple cider and it was delicious! There was so much merchandise and not enough time to see it all.

Beautiful pottery at a vendor at Pike Place Market | Photo by Kayla Schultz

Fresh seafood could be found at many vendors. There was an overpowering fish smell in those areas | Photo by Kayla Schultz
Band playing at Pike Place Market. I hope my dad tipped the band since he snapped a shot | Photo by Roger Schultz
There were many vendors selling beautiful bouquets of flowers | Photo by Kayla Schultz
A couple sneeking a smooch | Photo by Roger Schultz
I guess I know where to find fresh vegetables in Seattle | Photo by Kayla Schultz
We didn't go on the ferris wheel. Could be either the coolest or most terrifying thing in the world | Photo by Roger Schultz

Seattle shoreline | Photo by Roger Schultz

My parents: Roger and Diane Schultz | Photo by Kayla Schultz

This man was doing SO many tricks with his pet pigeon - incredible | Photo by Roger Schultz



No comments:

Post a Comment