Pages

Saturday, February 14, 2015

Vows to my future partner + Valentine's Day shenanigans

Isn't this raspberry chocolate ladybug truffle from Bon Bon the cutest? It even has spots in the shape of hearts. 


"I vow to always hand-write you a Valentine's letter to explain how much I love you. I vow to set the alarm 15 minutes early every morning so we have time to cuddle before getting ready for work."

As I laid in my bed last night thinking about love (because of Valentine's Day, of course), I started to ramble off promises I wanted to make with my future partner - the whole time replaying the scene from The Vow, and envisioning a "perfect" relationship where you can be goofy, serious, loving, 100 percent yourself and know your partner still cherishes you.

You see, that's the type of relationship I want. That's the type of relationship I've had and the type of relationship I hope to experience again. Although I'm single this Feb. 14th, I am not wallowing. I am so grateful for the people in my life. I'm not sad that I don't have a Valentine because I can feel it in my bones that my partner will come to me when the time is right. It might be someone already in my life, or it might be someone I've yet to meet, but my heart flutters at the thought that I will someday spend this day with my other half (I know, I know, ahh the gush). And I refuse to be one of those desperate lovers who settles - and I'd suggest you not be that person either because life is too short.

This morning I grabbed toast from Blackbird Bakery and in the display case sat homemade X & O cookies for lovebirds on the island. Right then I realized that this year I had not felt so turned off to Valentine's Day. Here on Bainbridge Island, I am hardly bombarded by consumerism. Almost all the businesses here are locally-owned, meaning I haven't encountered aisles and aisles of v-day exploitation. This, I think, has made me more aware of my feelings toward the holiday: that it should be more rooted in love than generic gifts.

Many feel obligated to get their honey a box of chocolates or a bouquet of red roses, but just because commercials and society say that's how it should be, doesn't mean we shouldn't challenge that thinking. My roommate works at Bon Bon, the local candy shop in Winslow, and we all know that the store is going to be packed today with desperate customers asking what they should get their significant other. Hint: not some last minute, random piece of chocolate.

You see, it's not about the present. To me, Valentine's Day is about cherishing the person you love, your partner. I watched this beautiful video (and then couldn't help watching the whole series), which asked couples how they would describe their feelings for their partner without using the word "love." It's so easy to say you love someone, but describing why can deepen those feelings and reveal just how much you care. In my opinion, telling your Valentine why or how you love them could truly be the best gift you give them.

So maybe open yourself up to alternative ways to celebrate your love this Valentine's Day. Write down all the things that you love about your significant other. Hug them a little tighter, and kiss them a little longer. Give them a true compliment about their character. Put a song on and slow dance to it. Hold their hand. Tell them one of your favorite memories together. Make dinner together. Do something for your partner just because you know it will make them happy. Show them how much you care because when it truly comes down to it, the little things are what count, not the material items.

It's always nice to know that my parents are thinking about me. They sent me a countdown to Valentine's Day box. I was instructed to open one bag a day until the 14th. My parents definitely know me well because today I opened Dove dark chocolates and strawberry Peeps (my fav), but I especially liked the personalized messages they printed & pasted on the box.

I walked into the YES! office on Friday and at every desk was a red tulip, Red Hots in the shape of hearts, and a chocolate heart. It definitely brightened my day and put me in the Valentine's spirit.

Although I'm not a fan of consuming these candy hearts, they sure are a cute decoration in the YES! office.

Tulip from work #ValentinesDaySelfie


No comments:

Post a Comment