Pages

Saturday, September 17, 2016

Bookstore & Macarons on a Saturday in September


This is in response to Natalie's 10 Day Freedom Plan Blog Challenge Day 8.


Today I took an adventure to a newly-opened bookstore. The owners had posted pictures throughout the building process, so the anticipation had been growing, especially after I had seen some of the bookish-loving things that would be for sale.

As I walked down the main street, I looked from left to right, wondering where it was. And then I saw Books & Mortar etched into the glass, and books arranged in the windowsill. A smile spread across my face and I started in that direction.

I walked in, looked at an assortment of vegan cookbooks, and knew I was in a bookstore I would love. I wandered more, looking through books on topics ranging from feminism to fiction. What impressed me even more was their assortment of social justice picture books for children. I have seen them online, but never in a store and have always thought that making children aware of social issues from a  young age could cause immense positive change. This place had it all.

Except one thing that I really thought they would have: POETRY.

Being an independent, hipster-ish bookstore made me assume they would have the one thing that I enjoy most. I was disappointed when I found a very small section (I have more in my collection than they had on the shelf), with mostly classic poetry (which I'm not really into). They had two contemporary poetry books, both of which I already own.

Overall, I was impressed. I found two books and a card to buy: Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit, We Should All Be Feminists by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, and the card says "Happy Birthday to my favorite introvert. Hopefully everyone leaves you alone so you can enjoy it." that I got for my boss.

After adventuring through the bookstore, I indulged in macarons next door. Delicious! My favorite: pumpkin.

What benefits do you get from an adventure once in a while? A fun change of pace, the opportunity to learn something new, and the luxury of taking a breather after a week full of busy. Take an adventure, big or small.

No comments:

Post a Comment